Brew Your Own : Ginger Beer
Nothing like a Dark n' Stormy to warm you up on icy winter days. Ginger beer may be the most important ingredient in this cocktail; second to the rum, of course. This non-alcoholic beer tastes similar to ginger ale; with the ginger flavour being very prominent. Conveniently, this root has been known to have endless health benefits; in our books classifying this drink into a tonic - so indulge.
- 30 ml fresh ginger juice
- 60 ml fresh lemon juice
- 90 ml simple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) warm water
- 25 granules of cuvee yeast
- Storage container (air tight glass container)
- Grate your ginger into shreds. Place shreds of ginger into cheese cloth, and squeeze the juices into a bowl.
- Mix the ginger juice, lemon juice, simple syrup and warm water into a large bowl.
- Pour into your storage container (use a funnel if needed)
- Next add the yeast into the mix, tighten the lid and give it a vigorous, quick shake.
- Let your mix rest in a cool, dark place for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours, place into the refrigerator to stop the fermentation process. Your ginger beer is now ready.
*Note- this makes about 500ml. It can be useful to make several batches at one time. Store in the refrigerator.
Dark n' Stormy:
1/2 ounce lime juice, 1/2 ounce house ginger syrup, 2 1/2 ounces ginger beer, 2 ounces Goslings (optional) rum, lime wedge. Mix ingredients over ice, serve over ice and garnish with lime wedge.